RABBI GLAZER’S SERMONS & TEACHINGS
When available, audio files of Rabbi Glazer’s weekly d’vrei Torah, or Torah Bytes, can be found on the relevant blog pages. All other teachings or sermons by Rabbi Glazer are on this page.
- The Kabbalah of Kubrick: Creativity From The Other Side –
Gallery Talk at the Contemporary Jewish Museum, October 2016
Rabbi Glazer considers filmmaker Stanley Kubrick‘s artistry through the lens of Jewish mysticism.
- The Genesis of Murder: New Exegesis from Saramago to Levinas —
Drash, Beraysheet (27 Tishrei 5777)
The story of Cain, the genesis of murder, and the importance of gratitude.
- Prayer For Israel — A Yom Kippur Teaching, Yom Kippur 5777
Putting together the ultimate “prayer package” for the State of Israel.
- The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God – And Has Even More Compassion —
Drash, Yom Kippur Ne’ila 5777
Choosing compassion to ensure that the door of the bus remains open for all.
- Sitting In The Belly Of The Whale: Part II — D’var Torah, Yom Kippur 5777
On “soul-making” in the Book of Jonah.
- “Ghosting” Vs. Bidding Adieu In The Last Kaddish —
Drash, Yom Kippur Yizkor 5777
On letting go and intimately marking the passing of a loved one.
- Sitting In The Belly Of The Whale: Part I — D’var Torah, Yom Kippur 5777
On “soul-making” in HaNeshama Lakh.
- What The Seal Of Truth Is Good For — Drash, Kol Nidre 5777
On distinguishing between lies and truth.
- Why I Don’t Believe — Drash, Rosh Hashanah Day 2 5777
On the 50th anniversary of the State of Jewish Belief (1966), contemplating faith versus conviction.
- “Brace For Impact” in Sully’s Akedah — D’var Torah, Rosh Hashanah Day 2 5777
Emunah, kehillah kedoshah (sacred community), and preparing ourselves to confront trials of uncertainty.
- Falling To Get Back Up — Drash, Rosh Hashanah Day 1 5777
On finding the resilience to rise again after falling.
- Bonobos, Sarah, & the Great Mother — D’var Torah, Rosh Hashanah Day 1 5777
Spiritual evolution: Can the survival of the fittest also be the empowerment of the pacifist?
- Finding Space To Love — Drash, Erev Rosh Hashanah 5777
Ruminating on Jefferson Airplane‘s Somebody To Love and our individual and social want for connection.
- Falling With Our Angels — The Future of the Zohar conference, UC Berkeley
The mystical significance of ascent/descent via Leonard Cohen’s lyrics (w/ music by Jeremiah Lockwood).
- Finding & Confronting Traces of the Divine — Drash, 6 Iyar 5776
Yom HaShoah, defining Jewish art, and discovering the trace of the divine within all.
- A Pesach Teaching, Makor Or Retreat, Pesach 5776
Brokenness of Yahatz and the healing, prophetic voice within.
- Remembering & Experiencing Memory — Drash, Shemini Atzeret Yizkor 5776
Sukkot, fMRIs, mental plasticity, and honoring the memory of our departed.
- To A Life Of Forgiveness — Drash, Yom Kippur Yizkor 5776
Daily rites of forgiveness, with Michelangelo, Abraham Lincoln, Joseph, and Immaculée Ilibagiza.
- Recovering the Lost Art of Rebuke — Drash, Kol Nidre 5776
The value of toch’acha, defined as constructive rebuke or “sacred nagging.”
- D’var Torah, Genesis 22, Rosh Hashanah 5776, Day 2
Leonard Cohen, sacrifice, awareness, and the Akedah (binding of Isaac).
- Heroes vs. Heroism — Drash, Rosh Hashanah 5776, Day 2
Contemporary Jewish crisis, the Iran Deal, and true heroism.
- D’var Torah, Genesis 21, Rosh Hashanah 5776, Day 1
Mary Oliver, the birth of Isaac, and Jewish practice creating opportunity for renewal.
- Homecoming & Displacement — Drash, Rosh Hashanah 5776, Day 1
A reflection on teshuvah, diaspora, imagination, memory, and place.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE CBS AUDIO RESOURCES OVERVIEW.